Friday, February 25, 2011

Adventures with Craigslist

My husband is a very good sport.  About every two weeks or so, I'll see something AMAZING on Craigslist.  (Since we live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where Craigslist started, everyone uses it to find jobs, apartments, significant others, and to buy and sell things.)  Our conversations usually go something like this:

Me:  "So, Marc, do you fancy a drive?"
Marc:  "What'd you find now?"
Me:  " A really awesome ______, and it's only ________!"
Marc:  "How far is it?"
Me:  "Um...only 10 (more like 20) miles."
Marc:  "Is it going in the garage, because (that's my space) there is no more room in there?"
Me:  "No, I'm sure I can fit in my craft room/the guest room/the upstairs hallway/(out of the way in the garage)"
Marc:  "Ok...I'll get my keys..."

Last week, I saw an ad with this picture:


She had described it in her ad as a "George Jetson's light fixture (kinda retro 90's)" and was asking $25!  I recognized it immediately as being an iconic PH5 Pendant Lamp, designed by Poul Henningsen of Denmark.  I recognized it because I really wanted wanted one for over my dining table and finally bought a knock-off on eBay two years ago.  Turns out, this lady had just bought a house and didn't like the light, so I bought it from her on Craigslist.  The crazy thing was that as I was leaving with my prize in tow, the seller mentioned to me that she really loved the Ikea esthetic.  Seeing as Ikea is obviously so influence by mid century Scandinavian design (a la Poul Henningsen), I found it really ironic that she was selling a great vintage piece to replace it with a contemporary "interpretation."  As much as I don't understand those who don't see the value in "old" stuff, I just have to remind myself that they're the reasons I can buy such great stuff so cheap!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this post, another great score! You had a very good week! Also, congrats on setting up shop!

    ReplyDelete