Sunday, January 17, 2010

How I Became a Thrift Store and Estate Sale Junkie

A lot of my friends think I'm crazy that I drag myself out of bed at the crack of dawn every Saturday to be first in line at an estate sale or that I can't pass a thrift store without itching to get inside to do a bit of treasure-hunting through a big bin of someone else's cast-offs. But as I realized during my college years, there's good stuff at those sales and in those stores. And not just good stuff, but good, cheap stuff! I remember moving to Berkeley to start grad school and realizing I needed everything for my little studio apartment. Craigslist and thrift stores were my saviors. I was raised in a "do it yourself" household, so I didn't mind buying used items that might need a little bit of elbow grease to make them new again. I decided to teach myself to sew and upholster furniture, and when I met my husband, who came with a woodshop and (later) a metal shop, it was a match made in heaven. We discovered we both had a love for mid century design and all things vintage, so we've now been feathering our nest with the treasures we find during our hunts. We're still not afraid of taking on projects, and this blog will hopefully serve as a way to catalog our pursuits and triumphs.

2 comments:

  1. How cool!
    Welcome to blogland! I think you'll be very happy here among like minded bloggers and make many new friends :)
    xo
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your header!
    Bring on the atomic inspired treasures!!

    ReplyDelete