Monday, March 28, 2011

Catching Up

I've been a bit preoccupied lately.  For those of you that don't know, I only moonlight as a thrifter/reseller...in fact, my "day job" is as a nuclear engineer.  I've been following the events in Japan very closely, especially because I have friends and colleagues directly effected by the earthquake, tsunami, and resulting nuclear emergency.  Also, Marc (my dear husband and my very own Mr. Fix-it) is a structural engineer specializing in seismic (earthquake) design.  It looks like he's going to be heading to Japan to survey the damage, so we have definitely both been preoccupied.

This weekend was pretty slow for estate-saling in the East Bay.  Marc and I braved the rain (it's not supposed to rain in California!!) to hit one in San Leandro on Saturday morning, but we walked away with nothing.  So after visiting the post office to ship an item purchased from my Etsy store (yay!), I motored on over to the close thrift stores in Hayward.  And here's the bounty:


A stainless dry good canister set!  I almost didn't get it, but then I found the matching breadbox:


They were both pretty dirty and rusty:


But after a good scrubbing with Barkeeper's friend, they're nice and shiny again!


Formerly rust-spotted area from before:  


But the real find of the weekend was this beautiful Gucci scarf with red/purple poppies:




There are nine different poppies on the scarf, each one rendered in vibrant colors and exquisite detail:


Sorry for the lack of focus on the blog lately...I think I'm ready to get back into the groove!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so amazed at how you work that Bar Keepers Friend! I would never think it could come back like that! Wow! And speaking of Wow, that Gucci scarf is quite a Wow!
    Nice scores Cat!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Gucci scarf. And best of luck to your husband when he goes to Japan. I have some friends over ther myself and have been so heartbroken about the whole disaster. So awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you and the hubs in dealing with the nuclear disaster. :/ I am still in disbelief about everything that has happened in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice score! I definitely would have picked those up if I saw them. A little TLC and they look superb! Nice find!

    ReplyDelete